domingo, mayo 21, 2006

M.I.A.

i don't usually listen to hip-hop and rap (too much Louis Vuitton-dropping), but this one got me going. maybe to her, exclusively. M.I.A. aka Maya Arul, is a west london rapper whose family had to leave sri lanka in the middle of the tamil tiger war. she released her album, Arular, last year, but i only got wind of it when wendell garcia played one of her songs (actually 2), Galang and M.I.A., on Wave 89.1. the beats are really hypnotic and soo electroclash/experimental, and the lyrics are very political and profound.

she's my new guilty pleasure right now. but she talks so much sense that maybe it won't be long before she moves up and away from that category.

check out the lyrics to M.I.A.
Sound familiar (especially the call center bit)?

xananananana

M.I.A.
M.I.A.


You can watch TV and watch the media
President Bush doing takeover
Kate Moss in ads for mascara
All my youth the young offender
The bill payers, the drug dealers
Girls who are magazine covers
The part-time jobbers at the call center
No career plans cause you won't go far
Put away change for Ibiza and
Check your credit on your new Nokia

You can be a follower but who's your leader?
Break the cycle or it will kill ya
You leader, you lead, uh, do what you do
What really good's gonna happen to you?

Your prime minister to your employer
Ego lovers need more power
Trendsetters make things better
Don't sell out to be product pushers
The gyro casher and baby makers
Try something new cause it ain't over
All poor people from all over
Lottery's got a rollover

You can be a follower but who's your leader?
Break the cycle or it will kill ya

Cherokee Indian, Iraqi and Indians
Girls and me girls when they come to the fellas and
Japanese, Moroccan, Caribbean, African
That's your life but who the fuck's your president?
You don't get my life cause I don't have a side and I
Spread dat boy 'im a mile wide and I
Got brown skin, I'm a west Londoner
Educated, but a refugee, still.
You wanna boy, you're old, you go
You wanna fight, you suck, you blow

1 Comments:

At 23 mayo, 2006 16:58, Blogger The Princess said...

I miss you biatch. Busy working. Text me. I'd hop into your coffee break next week. :)

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home