domingo, mayo 28, 2006

fucking flu

i just officially got out of the flu today, and i have to say i still don't feel better.

it all started last monday, when i met up with my concept teammates in an ad campaign i'm currently working on. i had to order doppio espresso servings of macchiato in the cafe we drafted our workplan in, just to ease the headache that was, apparently, slowly stripteasing and lapdancing its way into my brain. when i got home that night, i felt the immediate symptoms of a regular flu: malaise, the hot feeling of a fever, some colds. i took some pills, and went to sleep. last thing i knew that was the last time, for that week, that i was ever gonna have good, orgasmic sleep.

it was total mindfuck from there.

from tuesday to friday, all i can feel are the steady ding-ding of a throbbing headache at the left side of my head, an equally throbbing ear as if i had an ear infection, snot the color of camouflage (which used up 3 rolls of toilet paper every 3 hours), fever that acted as if i was liking the adventure, and toothaches that made me feel like my bicuspids were about to fall off. every night, i couldn't put myself to sleep because of the headache, no matter how many oranges i chew or milk glasses i down like tequila. i tried yoga poses (the corpse pose most especially), mantra (i am more than the headache, i am morethan the headache ad nauseam), gymnopedies (elevator muzak with ocean sounds that claim to relax you), turning off the lights, total silence, lavender oils, everything. nothing could keep me from having to pound my head on the wall (that didn't work too).

except for one thing: my mom's chinese pharmacy menthol stick. it's like the vicks stick, except that the menthol is exposed. i became a junkie to that, and also to a steady overdose of advil. i'm actually still snorting it right now as i type this. menthol sticks can trump crystal meth anytime! it makes you feel that good.

curiously though, even i i had that horrid toothandheadachecombination, i could still eat normally, watch fashion tv (that was more relaxing than the lavender), and do normal things to a certain point. i had the campaign presented to the client this friday, and i must say that going out of the house was, in a way, healing for me. at least when i got back, the headache was no longer that bad. but the snot still makes my nose rival a fire hydrant.

i've been hearing a lot of people having the same mindfuck as i have (good thing, since i wouldn't have to speculate), which means that it's as common as the flu pague to hit this coutry everytime the weather acts up. but i have to say i'll also have myself to blame for my shit. last saturday (not yesterday), i broke my vow of clean and healthy living. during a dear aunt's birthday party, i joined my cousins at the garage and downed 2 1-liter bottles of red horse (RED HORSE. i only drink cerveza negra/super dry. i swore off the san mig light a looong looong time ago, and pale pilsen makes me look like a d.o.m.) AND smoked off 2 packs of marlboro reds (REDS. i don't do reds. as much as possible, it's marl lights or something lighter, like capri or davidoff white. i'm totally killing myself). i didn't have a hangover until sunday afternoon, and i kept myself awake until sunday morning, 10am (10 am! that's like, more than 10 hours of non-stop online work. i'm a walking suicide case, i'm sorry). and that's when it all started.

of course, my whole gym schedule is fucked up; i didn't do gym for a whole week, my parents wouldn't let me go, and i couldn't do it either even if they pointed a gun at me. but maybe i'll try it again tomorrow. experience tells me that a little physical activity clears the airways and the bad air. i feel better now than i did last wednesday, but i'd really like it if i don't get a relapse, like everybody claims they're getting by working so hard.

and maybe getting my clear snot back. i only like camouflage in my fatigue pants.