sábado, noviembre 04, 2006

losing my religion*

don't ever think i'm taking you for granted.

i love you too.

the day you came into my life i somehow knew you'd be sticking around for quite a while. and not only did you stick around, you struck me in ways only you have done.

i love you too.

it was only a simple back and forth text exchange; if i had half a brain i wouldn't even be taking them seriously. but it was different with you. sure there was already a precedent. and being the usual self-reflexive me, i should know better. and i did know better. i knew you've only been sincere from the start. and in the middle of my breakdown you were the one who stood by me in spite of everything. that, knowing everything and the propensity of you getting hurt, you still chose to stand by me is something i'll forever cherish.

i love you too.

i may be acerbic at times, to say the least. i may turn into someone you didn't fall in love with at the mention of their names. and i am sorry for that. but please understand that i've only been honest because i love you.

i love you too.

and over the course of this relationship i ask this early that you shouldn't ever have to compromise anything for me. i love you because of who you are, not because of an image of the person i'd like you to be, which doesn't exist. you will never have to give up your delight for me. i understand everything, and i am trying my best to wrench myself out of the ugly precedents. i still love the other, yes, but now there is this growing will in me to stop doing so. and over the next few days, eventually act on that growing will.

because i love you.

*apologies to r.e.m.